From the safety of their own homes, our South African young reporters shared their thoughts and feelings on the COVID-19 pandemic and President Cyril Ramphosa’s nationwide lockdown.
FACTS & DEFINITIONS:
PANDEMIC : A pandemic is a global disease outbreak. It differs from an outbreak or epidemic because it:
- Affects a wider geographical area, often worldwide.
- Infects a greater number of people than an epidemic.
- Is often caused by a new virus or a strain of virus that has not circulated among people for a long time.
- Humans usually have little to no immunity against it. The virus spreads quickly from person-to-person worldwide.
- Causes much higher numbers of deaths than epidemics.
- Often creates social disruption, economic loss, and general hardship.
LOCKDOWN: A protocol followed in an emergency that involves confining people in a secure place.
Source: The Free Dictionary